Becketwood Cooperative
An Active, Independent 55+ Community of Owners in Minneapolis

Brick House Days – Part 1

by Iric Nathanson, Becketwood Member

Becketwood Neighbors:

Earlier this year, when I was researching the history of the Sheltering Arms Orphanage at the Minnesota Historical Society,  I came across an unmarked envelope at the bottom of a box of orphanage records. I opened the envelope and discovered a typed manuscript dated March 1937. The title page read “Brick House Days.”  It was an account by a man named Ned Lilleveld of the time he had spent at Sheltering Arms. Ned’s account was based on a journal he had kept as a young boy twenty years earlier.

Like many of the young people who lived at Sheltering Arms between 1910 and 1942, Ned’s stay there was relatively brief. He was at the orphanage for less than a year while his mother was at the Glen Lake Sanitorium, recovering from tuberculosis.

Since our cooperative is built on the former Sheltering Arms site, I thought you might be interested in Ned’s story.

Iric Nathanson

December 2016

Click here for a PDF of part 1.

Stay tuned for parts 2 and 3....

• Carol Masters February 3, 2017, 9:48 pm

Historical fiction with some real characters… and a poignant tale.

• Rick Musser February 4, 2017, 1:57 am

The Brick House is just like reading a local version of Tom Sawyer. Don’t think I’ve had this much fun since Injun Joe and Huckleberry Finn.

• carol bechtel February 4, 2017, 3:06 am

What a find! Ned Lilleveld is sure some storyteller. Bring on parts 2 & 3!

• Judy Solmonson February 4, 2017, 8:23 pm

What a great story! I can hardly wait for the next chapters. It brings a whole new sense of history to our home here.

• Nancy Christen February 4, 2017, 11:46 pm

Love the story Iric and can’t wait to get the rest of it! It makes me want to learn much more about Sheltering Arms.

• Elaine Churchill February 20, 2017, 6:12 pm

Did you know that we had a member who lived at Sheltering Arms? Her name was Henrietta. We called her Henry. She had red hair. Her story was very interesting. Ned was quite an accomplished writer for such a young boy. I found it most enjoyable.