Becketwood Cooperative
An Active, Independent 55+ Community of Owners in Minneapolis

Shortages

by Dick Juhl, Becketwood Member

I had no idea that we are running so short of basic food items, many of them staples in our diets for many years. Perhaps a government investigation is in order.  Last week, while at a grocery store, I noted that bacon is now only 12 ounces per package. I suppose pork producers are short on hogs for bacon use.

However, I did notice that the price for 12 ounces seems strangely like the price for 16 ounces a few weeks ago. The pork shortage may be critical, but the shortages seem to be spreading to other food items too. Tuna cans used to be 8 ounces, then 6 ounces and now only 5 ounces. I suppose the conservation of tuna stocks has been imposed to help in their survival. However, the shortages seem to have hit other commodities also, i.e., cereals, candy bars (who decided that the small bar is "fun size?"), canned vegetables, and so on.

I think we will soon see a revolution in the weight monitoring agency standards. I believe the international weight control people will now certify a small pound, i.e., 15 ounces, a lighter kilo, and yard stick at 35 inches. Even L. L. Bean has taken off the locker loop in shirts. That loop made it so easy to hang a shirt on the bathroom door at night. I note that my pants are tighter too, but come to think of it, that could be my diet.

• ruthgaylord June 12, 2019, 1:46 pm

well done, Dick!!!!

• Susan De Vries June 12, 2019, 3:52 pm

By gum, you’re right, Dick! Let’s get up a committee and picket someone!
    Thanks for a big smile.

• Walther June 13, 2019, 11:20 am

The smaller packaging has nothing to do with shortages; it has everything to do with economics! Rather than raise prices, producers simply have reduced the amounts in each package, allowing them to retain profit margins. This has been a practice for quite a long time so I’m wondering why it hasn’t been noticed before.

• Anonymous June 14, 2019, 9:37 pm

Cute, Dick, as always. “Who decided that the small bar is the “fun” bar” is the best!
    Barbara White

• Peggy Ryden June 20, 2019, 3:03 am

Yes, the good old days when a pound was a pound!!! Too bad my scale hasn’t caught on to this new measurement system. Smart and fun writing Dick; thank you! My fav downsize is that tiny bag of potato chips that has 2.5 servings per bag; who are they kidding? That’s 400 calories per tiny bag- and yes I eat it all in one serving 😁.

• Erik Juhl June 22, 2019, 2:33 am

I like the locker loops too. Bring back the locker loop!

CLICK FOR MENU