|March 16, 2020
Recommended Actions in Response to Coronavirus (COVID-19)
As you are aware, COVID-19 protocol is a fast moving target which changes daily if not hourly. The Board of Directors voted on Saturday, March 14 to be aligned with the MN Department of Health Recommendations. Becketwood Management and the Board of Directors will continue to monitor the situation and are in constant conversation.
COVID-19 symptoms: (Fever, cough, shortness of breath) OR emergency warning signs: (Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, new confusion or inability to rouse, bluish lips or face) - PLEASE contact your physician and family if these or other symptoms are of concern. This is not an all-inclusive list.
For more info, please visit Centers for Disease Control and Minnesota Department of Health.
Please do not call Becketwood staff. Our cooperative is not a healthcare facility and we do not employ health care staff. If you are unable to care for yourself, you will need to make arrangements with your family. It is not advised for Members to be taking on responsibility for other Members – especially if there are any upper respiratory symptoms present.
Meanwhile, the recommendations listed below will take effect immediately. They will be re-evaluated on or before March 31 pending any updates from the MN Department of Health Recommendations or any action by the State of MN happen before that date.
1) All programs and meetings held in Becketwood are canceled until March 31.
2) All excursions coordinated by Becketwood are canceled until March 31.
3) Open houses will be canceled and alternate methods of showing the unit will be posted online and sent to the wait list (e.g. photos of unit)
4) All meals in the Wellington Room are canceled effective immediately and alternate plans for meals will be put into place no later than March 18. This will likely include box lunches (hot and cold options) and increased items in the Pantry. Details will be sent via email and delivered to your unit mailbox. Additional food will be in the pantry on March 17 if needed.
5) Consider “social distancing” with staff as well. If meetings with staff can be done via phone or email, please use those options. Staff can assist remotely with most questions from Members... Individuals using Becketwood housekeeping will be contacted individually with updates on that service. Only EMERGENCY maintenance will be done through March 31 with the exception of window installation where the 6 foot distance can be maintained.
6) Visitors should be restricted to family members, Home Care and necessary vendors (home care, food, etc.)
7) Current refurbishments in progress with contractors that Becketwood DOES NOT know will be reviewed and potentially recommended to stop until March 31.
8) No deliveries will be made to units (except meals from the Becketwood kitchen). All newspapers will be picked up at the front desk. Packages handled per usual.
9) When in the building and you need to be out of your unit, try to practice consistent “social distancing” which means staying at least 6 feet apart from individuals in Becketwood as much as possible.
10) All previous recommendations should continue to be followed by Members including but not limited to:
a) Good infection control practices of hand-washing for at least 20 seconds as often as possible during the day. Use of an alcohol gel of at least 60% alcohol when hand-washing is not immediately available.
b) Cover your cough and sneeze.
c) Consider NOT attending large group activities out of the building or making any unnecessary trips out of the building.
d) If you have ANY upper respiratory symptoms – you should wear a mask if you need to be in a common space.
A letter will be going out to the 150 family members we have addresses for on Monday, March 16 with this information as well as some of the previous information that has been sent to Members. I am also starting an email list to communicate more frequently to families as is necessary. If you have family emails you would like included – please let me know.
All Becketwood staff involved in these recommendations will be informed on Monday, March 16 as well. It is my hope that the situation will improve enough to “go back to the usual” by the end of the month but as you all know, this is a moving target.
Debbie Richman, Becketwood Executive Manager